Monday, April 27, 2009

Lord of the Rings

I did it. I finally watched Fellowship of the Ring, the first of the LOTR trilogy. For all of you fans out there, I want to be respectful. So, I will just note the length of the movie. Wow! I think I could've read the book in the time it took to watch the film. I could've done a lot of things.

It wasn't a bad movie, and I will suspend judgment until I see all three. (I hope I have enough time this decade to sit through the next two.) But I think the Chronicles of Narnia set is more compelling, although I hate The Last Battle and its ending. Darn Lewis' theology of inclusivism.

In fact, off the top of my head, I can think of several trilogies that are more compelling than LOTR, starting with The Matrix, X-Men, Ocean's 11/12/13, and even Shrek.

I've got an uncle who loves the LOTR story. He lives out in New Jersey and he came to Missouri (where my Grandma lives) for Christmas or vacation or something like that. He watched one of the LOTR movies in a theater in every state that he passed through. I think he saw it like 11 times. Yeah, that's just bizarre.

Anyway, he smacked me when I told him I hadn't seen any of the LOTR movies yet. I think the next time I see him, I'll ask if he's seen the High School Musical trilogy. I'm guessing he hasn't. So watch out, Uncle Dan! My hand flies where it wants!

No comments:

Post a Comment