Thursday, April 2, 2009

Jabberwocky and Jekyll

"Jabberwocky" comes from a poem in Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass. It's a pretty nonsensical bit about a monster of that name. What happens to the Jabberwocky? I guess you'll have to read that for yourself. By the way, I'll write more about that character in a later blog.

Speaking of monsters... or writing, as it were... I just finished Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde last night. I'm starting to think that someone should start writing theology books in a fiction format. This book, more than any theological treatise, demonstrated for me the struggle between the two natures of a person. Except for the experience of turning into a monkey-like creature with a penchant for all things evil and perverse, I really projected myself into the story and related to the poor fellow (or fellows).

I will not spoil the story for those of you who have yet to read it, but I will comment on the theme that I related to. Dr. Jekyll is a scientist, a professional, and a responsible individual. Deep within, though, he longs to be carefree. He yearns to be released from restraints that both he and society has placed on himself. Mr. Hyde represents that longing for absolute freedom.

The doctor tries to live as both Dr. Jekyll--who is good--and Mr. Hyde--who is evil. He found out that it was impossible to separate the two natures within.

If you've read Romans 7, you'll see that Paul fought the same battle. In verses 23 and 24, he writes, "For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?" Sound familiar? Yep.

If this book were converted (pardon the pun) into a Christian novel, the story might end a little bit differently. There might be some consideration of our two natures from a biblical perspective. The way it is, though, happens to be a good starting for talking about the flesh vs. the spirit.

My two daughters aren't quite old enough to interact with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde or even the "Jabberwocky." The only monsters they are familiar with live on Sesame Street. (Think Telly, Herry, Cookie Monster....) But once they reach that point of life where they can read and think critically, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde will be on their reading list. You can be sure that we'll talk about the story and its theme of humanity's dual nature.

As for you, I assume that you can read. And if you can't read, you won't be offended if my assumption seems arrogant and incorrect because you wouldn't have been able to read it. Anyway, as you read this, you may choose to read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. You may not. But you probably understand the conflict between good and evil in your own life. I challenge you to read Romans 7 in order to put words to your struggle. As you're reading the chapter, see how Paul resolves the dilemma of his two natures. You may find the answer to your own battle with sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment