Wednesday, April 8, 2009

At the Table

Here's a little poem I wrote. Note: Isa is our younger daughter's nickname. It has no Arabic meaning. (The name of Jesus in Arabic is Isa). Nor is she named after the character from Dora the Explorer. It's just short for Elisa. Another note: When I write "She's a little airplane now," that line is from a song on one of Big Bird's videos.

At the Table

Another dinner, Isa’s all done.
All the food on her plate is gone.
She motions and says she wants down
Wants to watch TV or just play around.

But big sister—she makes us wait
Hardly a piece of food left her plate.
Every meal is exactly alike
She takes forever just to eat a bite.

Eliana talks and laughs and dances and sings
On her knees, she spreads her wings
She’s a little airplane now
Her performance ends and she takes a bow.

Will she ever get around to eating the bread,
Maybe her chicken or broccoli instead?
The food grows cold, but she doesn’t mind
In fact, cold is her favorite kind.

She makes me wonder, “Do I eat too fast?”
Do I need to sit around and make the moment last?”
My mind turns to Jesus and how much time I take
To sit with him, how much effort do I make?

I say a quick prayer, read a verse or two.
Because right now, I’ve got so much to do.
But I need to wait, sit back and unwind.
Dine with my Savior and savor the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment