Sunday, October 18, 2009

Music and Worship

We recently started attending a new church. It is a small fellowship with a normal attendance of 60. The congregational music consists mainly of hymns, accompanied by a piano and organ. I had once swore to myself and to my wife that I would never attend a church that had an organ. Why the change?

I enjoy music. Not just listening to it, but the theory behind it. When I hear music, I don't just hear the melody. I hear the harmonies, the instrumentation, the rhythms. So when I to a church that has a full band, I become entranced by each instrument. I watch the drummer, the keyboardist, the guitarist, and the bassist, paying close attention to the parts they are playing. It's not that I do it on purpose. It's automatic. My heart is almost never moved during the music portion of a worship service that features a full band.

But at this little church, things are simple. No distractions. No big production. Just all of us singing about our Savior. And those are the times that choke me up. Those are the moments that I most clearly see Jesus and His wonderful love for us. Simple church. Simple praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment